Monday, June 11, 2007

Over the Hill &Thru the Woods to Grandma and Grandpa's we go...

2005- The TN grandkids ( they have 5 more in MI)
Grandma serves Lemonade

We never tire of the view

The old logging road to their house

-When my mom and step-dad made the decision to retire in Tennessee instead of Florida they didn't know they would have 13 grandchildren instead of 7 living next door. They moved here in 2000 and our family came in 2002. A home came up for sale behind my sister's 14 acres that we had no intention on buying until we came for a visit and had a "knowing" that it was the right thing to do. I'll never forget the happy surprised scream my mom let out when we suddenly told her we were moving next door. All of our homes are hidden from each others preventing us from calling each other ,wondering," where were you at so late?"( we were just kidding about that the other day) It's impossible to avoid any irritation which will commonly arise between family members but even when we have a little scuffle it's just another opportunity to show grace and love toward each other in the end. It takes sensitivity from each of us to know how to read each other.

-Grandma and Grandpa sure know how to spoil us with something to drink and goodies for all ages. Besides enjoying the home they work so hard at keeping exceptionally comfortable for all of us, one of the most pleasant experiences is enjoying the spectacular view out back of Starr Mountain where the Hiawassee River runs through.

- It is amazing that all the sets of Grandparents are believers and the kids have an incredible heritage. All of the sets of grandparents have settled at least close to some of their children. These days it's not likely everyone will stay in the same state but I like this forgotten tradition of connecting acreage. We were not trying to keep any traditions of the past (when many had to practice staying close out of necessity ) but we can still see how beneficial we can really be to one another and It suits us fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're making time to write. It was hard for me to blog at first, not knowing what to share. Now I have several faithful readers who just like to stay updated with what's going on in our lives and love my occasional rant. :)
I love the way God placed you all together in such a wonderful location. And Grandma's place IS kept so well. I hear it's also a great place for a birth...
My parents will be about 35 minutes away instead of 10 when they get settled in at the river. My grandparents will be here next week, living right in town, right between us. I have no idea what kind of help they'll need in the days to come, but we'll be here. Some of my relatives are skeptical that this is a good move for them. There's always someone, isn't there?