Friday, October 23, 2009






Admirable Works. We needed these products this year.
After years of producing science and history notebooks I thought it would be necessary to try something a little formal. Write Shop has taken a lot of discipline and close observance to instructions but well worth the time. The first few assignments are simply description paragraphs but I have been pleased with their creativity. I can only show Paul's work as Joshua's wasn't on this computer. I will post one here.

My Conch Shell by Paul Houk age 12

Last night I found a beautiful conch shell at the beach. The main structure is shaped like a diamond. Sticking out on the side is a study lip that has a wide opening which leads into the mysterious shell. If I place my ear up to the large opening, I can hear the moaning sea. The blush pink inside spirals up to a small hole on top while the rough tan outside has dull spikes that start at the middle, which also spiral up to the top. As the spikes spiral up, they get smaller I am lucky to own this remarkable conch shell.
This next paragraph is just a first revision:
Dynamite Comes in Small Packages by Paul Houk

I have taken a liking to our aggressive pygmy goat called Swade. Swade’s coarse black and white hair, including his stalwart appearance, fits his demeanor perfectly. Bearded and little, he is rather inconsistent with his attitude. He can be emphatically frisky, yet cantankerous at other times. This hoofed creature has a small set of horns that he uses often, nearly as much as his voice, which greets me with a loud quavering bleat. If any other goat attempts to munch Swade’s victuals he will dismiss it with a swift, though sound, butt with his little head. This mammal can be a curious fellow, and will consume practically anything. I enjoy playing with this stout miniature goat.

Lisa is our much appreciated editor but at least we just run our papers next door and her boys are in this with us. No complaints so far from my guys. We will give a report again at the end of the year.
Above are the spine books for our 20th century history. We include as many biographies and even fictional stories (based on events in that period) as possible. I usually read the spine out loud just because I am all about history now. I won't read their science out loud because I just don't have the passion. So if your curious about how our year is going or you might be looking for reviews on homeschool products yourself... well.. here ya go.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These writings that Paul did impress this Grandma very much! Way to go Paul!

Ken and Zelpha said...

Paul, I like your stories, good job. I don't like goats, but you made them sound interesting.