Thursday, June 4, 2009

Big Fire

Last Friday (almost a week now) the sign company owned by our brother-in-law caught on fire and is now considered a total loss. While they were drying letters at the end of the day Kenny and my nephew in-law saw smoke and by the time they approached the area it was to late. After calling 911, they grabbed the computers and then found it impossible to save anything else but a plotter. (I'll post pictures later-our camera and cell phone were lost in the fire)
Meanwhile at home, we hear a few fire trucks but we are now hidden by trees from any view down below that I didn't bother to look out to see where they may be going. Joseph even said, "Hey mom, what's that sound?". "Fire trucks, Joe." 15 minutes later my neighbor and friend calls my phone and yells "Lori, did you know that the shop is on fire?" Fear struck me since I hadn't heard from Kenny so I jumped in the car and immediately tore down there. It crossed my mind that an explosion could have taken place and the neighbors might have called 911. I wondered if Kenny was okay. Even after I saw his beautiful form outside the building I couldn't help shaking. I couldn't believe the fire was out of control. Somehow Kenny and I both seemed to still have some kind of idea that he could conquer the beginning of a fire but the hose wasn't going to cut it as our nephew tried. They were amazed at how fast the huge place filled with black smoke and toxic fumes. There were about 10-12 fire trucks on the scene and they used 15,000 gallons of water out of the nearby pond/lake.
Ford and Lisa were on their way home from a vacation in Colorado and we were just sick at the thought of what they were about to face. They were and have been amazing about the whole thing. Even though they have insurance the amount of work in setting up temporarily and the stress of keeping clients is incredible. They are setting up shop in our carport which is now a closed in wired shop with machines all set up with production almost on its way. The office (our old bedroom we were already moving out of) is connected to the shop by our transformed plotter -room breezeway.It has turned out to be a nice set up. It hasn't been easy but it has been neat seeing everyone ( and I mean from 10 years old and up) buzzing around here as hard and fast as anyone can go. Taking our meals together has been one fun aspect of it all. Grandma and Grandpa have done an amazing amount of work pressure washing, painting, cleaning, cooking dinner several times for all of us and even helping me catch up on my laundry. Thanks to everyone for your work and prayers.

3 comments:

Taylor said...

Whoa, im sorry for yall's loss! So glad things are going well! Yall are in our prayers! We miss you!! God bless! :)

Lori said...

Hey Miss Julia!
We miss you all to.It seems ridiculous we havn't found time together lately. Maybe this week.
Lori

Taylor said...

Ya maybe...u and mom will have to plan something! Maybe yall can come to one of Will's b.ball games!