Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life for Now

Finished.... much better
In trouble for making another mess

Can you see the "stinker"' in his smirk


John twirling Sarah in a dance to Joshua's morning guitar playing



John climbing the wall at the YMCA


Lily did great until she needed to get down. I tried to help her but only found myself landed on.




Last Friday night Lisa, her girls, me, and my girls took the evening to go visit Priscilla who went away to college this fall. We had such a nice time in the city. I really enjoyed noticing the new architectural developments going on around me and appreciating the old buildings also. Downtown Chattanooga is really marvelous. The pedestrian bridge is lit up at night and is full of families and even an occasional musician here and there with their cases open for cash donations. The park near the bridge has the most perfect fescue that calls to your bare feet. People are playing Frisbee and football while others let their little ones run around in the fountains. Pris had to work on a drawing assignment for a bit but she was able to have coffee at the little shop in the historic district. We sure miss her and Candace both. On the way home we all sang together. Lily gets more from times like that than I’m sure we can imagine. Sisters and nieces can make very dear friends.
Kenny was also able to take me on a date Saturday. Golfing, dinner, and then a little drive. It was very refreshing. Kenny is trying to teach me how to golf. It is extremely difficult to hit that tiny ball with a little club head straight and far and controlled. I don’t know how much time I will be willing to give toward seemingly a difficult sport but for now it’s once a week. At first I had the attitude that it was a meaningless waste of time but I feel I was too presumptuous in judging. The fresh air does wonders and the beauty of all that green is good for the eyes. We come home in a much better mental state to deal with stress and the hard work it takes to keep things running smoothly. We are spending time with family(sometimes friends) and able to communicate much more with each other than we would sitting in front of the electronic devices that so tempt our time.

The weather is turning cooler, especially in the mornings so I took the lunch outside today. John carried the blanket and straightened it out very nicely and then ran off to find the “secret” patch of wild muscadines ( a fruit resembling a large grape). The boys got up early to get their schoolwork done so they could go golfing with Grandpa today so I just had the four younger ones. I think I am concluding that John’s age is one of my favorite stages and I want to soak up this time of reading out loud together even though he still prefers to be engaged in some competitive activity. When he heard we would be racing for candy at the YMCA PE classes you should have seen his raised eyebrows and wiggly body as the teacher explained. Sarah wants me to consider her doing school when she is at the table writing or sitting with a book somewhere. “Look Mom, I do school” I think she has a wonderful mind already. As we were picnicking on the edge of the field overlooking the view she said the grasses were dancing ( and they really were nodding and swaying) which was followed by telling me to “look at all the mountains, over there and over there and over there” as she pointed in three different directions. Next, she brought me acorns and asked me how many. She imitated the calls of the crows and hawks that flew overhead and on the way home picked the wild flowers she saw. Full of wonder and the love of life is Sarah. Joseph is changing from mama’s boy already. When Kenny comes in the door and sits down Joseph will mosey on over and proceed to head bang him or punch him to start a little wrestling match. It seems he thinks it’s funny to get hurt a little because he always goes back for more. He also likes to bring Kenny books and show him all the animals he knows.
The truth is I want to spend more time ministering to others but not at the cost of leaving my kids to movies, video games, boredom, or others knowing them more than I do. Right now it seems like God has me in a place of pressing in to walking in the truths I do know with the ones closest to me. That always seems to be the most difficult, does it not? I truly want opportunities of reaching out to others as a family. He has definitely brought those about in his timing. It’s not about earning approval. It’s about living a purposeful, meaningful, obedient life that I have to trust the Lord for. I just try to jump ahead instead of patiently waiting for God. So many times he reminds me…… Hello. You have a daughter that needs more of you desperately!!! Quit looking out there when I have already given you those to minister to! Your Husband, kids, parents, siblings and friends! Be a light! There I go again …Preaching to myself.

No comments: